Friday, May 2, 2008

Rising Grocery Prices

It's really important that I cut out grocery bill as much as possible right now. Because my husband drives over 140 miles each day commuting to work, the high gas prices are hitting us really hard.
We've been eating out of the pantry and freezer for the last 3 weeks and I really needed to pick up some grocery staples. I ran to our local Aldi Foods store today and was surprised at the increases in all the items that I usually purchase. Our cold cereal is 30 cents higher, flour is 79 cents more, re-fried beans are 10 cents more and tomato sauce has gone up 1 cent. It doesn't seem like a lot until you multiply each item by the number of each item necessary to feed a family of 9 for one meal. Yikes! We're planning on having a huge garden this summer at my mom's house, so we won't be purchasing vegetables. I will be picking our fruit from local orchards and freezing them. Now, if I could just get a cow for milk and some chickens for meat. Would the neighbors believe that we have a large spotted dog that "moos"?

No comments: