Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake

My mom hosts an annual Halloween party at her house for all of her grandchildren. The grandchildren range in age from 18 months to 21 years, so she does different games each year. This year she planned a ghost drop (covered clothes pins into a plastic bucket), pumpkin toss (catapult used to throw small pumpkins into a large field), cake walk, and a mummy wrap (teams pick a person and cover them with toilet paper to make mummies).

Thursday, mom called and asked if I could bake 4 cakes and 24 cupcakes for the Saturday afternoon party. I agreed and tried to figure how to complete 4 costumes, bake, and get everyone to dance and music on Friday. Then, the phone rang. My oldest daughter wanted to come home from college for the weekend and attend the party. While I was glad that she would be visiting, my schedule was thrown to pieces. The four hour trip was making a huge hole in my Friday.

After picking up my daughter, she agreed to drive the younger children to dance and music classes Friday afternoon so I could bake cakes. The children who needed costumes completed tried to find something we already had that they could use for the party.

Friday, night my oldest daughter helped me decorate all the cupcakes and cakes. We worked in an assembly-line and completed them in a little over an hour.

During the cake walk, all of my children won a cake. I won a cake. We don't need 8 cakes in our home when I am trying to lose weight!!!!! Thankfully, my oldest child took a cake back to school with her, my 10 year old gave her cake to someone who didn't win a cake. What is incredibly scary is that there is only ONE cake left from Saturday. I don't even want to think about the amount of sugar that my little girls have eaten recently.

No comments: