Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Indian Summer Day


What a terrific day! To beat the glum election news, I packed up the kids and we headed to our favorite state park, within easy driving distance. The weather was a balmy 69 degrees and the sun was shining brightly. My two youngest girls wanted to go wading in the lake, so they took off their shoes and socks to test the waters. They discovered a ton of snail shells and began to gather them up by the handful. My 15 year old daughter and I also went wading. We wanted bragging rights to be able to say that we went wading in November in Michigan.

We spent an hour walking around the lake and climbing hills for spectacular views.

After, getting lost a couple of times, I eventually located an area called "The Devil's Soup Bowl". It's a huge, steep ravine. Years ago, it was possible to drive to the rim and then walk to the bottom. There is now walk of about 1/2 a mile before reaching the "Soup Bowl". The site is less used than it was years ago and there were several fallen trees and lots of shrubbery in the trails to the bottom. My children were enchanted with the thrill of getting to the bottom. I certainly got my exercise for the day!

We all had a terrific time and enjoyed the wonderful smells of autumn and the feel of sunshine.

No comments: