Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hymns in Unusual Places

Today I went with a friend to a bulk health food store in a nearby Amish community. It was a lot of fun to get away and I managed to snag a few great deals on nuts and dried fruit. After my friend dropped me off at home, my oldest daughter and I headed off to Hobby Lobby to look for yarn that my daughter needed for a project. As we were wandering around the store I heard music that was familiar. After listening for a short time, the music was recognized as Abide Oh Dearest Jesus. The following song was A Mighty Fortress is Our God. The hymns were stylized musical arrangements without the words. It took Amy a little longer to recognize the tunes, but we were both enjoyed shopping to hymns as opposed to the normal pop melodies.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Isn't that a great feature of Hobby Lobby ( a Christian company!) I love it also. Had fun today thanks for going with me.

Kari said...

I know! Isn't Hobby Lobby the coolest place?!? Ours is not open on Sundays, Is that a corporate policy or a local thing? There's a sign right on the door that talks about employees needing to spend time with families. Ya don't see that very often.

My OB-GYN's office plays christian music over their sound system, it's refreshing.

Kari

Karen said...

Kari,
I think that all Hobby Lobbies are closed on Sunday. As the wife of someone who works retail, more companies need to follow Hobby Lobby's example.

Melinda,
I had a great time too. Thanks for inviting me. Where's your blog? ;)