Friday, July 10, 2009

BBC

Mike and I have enjoyed many of the shows on the BBC over the years. Some of our favorites have been Jeeves and Wooster, A Fine Romance, Rosemary and Thyme, French and Saunders, Mr. Bean, Keeping Up Appearances, All Creatures Great and Small, My Hero, and many others. A few weeks ago, my oldest daughter brought home the series Dr. Who and watched it with my younger children. I caught one episode and thought that it was really bad. It was a low budget series and the science fiction characters were very poorly done.

The children have been sick with fevers, congestion, and sore throats for the last two days, probably brought on by their allergies. Amy brought home more of the series and I watched several episodes holding children on my lap. Now I'm hooked. There is a lot of great humor in this series. Yes, the special effects aren't the greatest. The plots are bizarre. But, the series definitely improves each season. I made Amy return to the library this afternoon, to pick up the first season, so that I can start at the beginning. David Tennant, who played the younger Bartie Crouch in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, starts as The Doctor in the later seasons.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I wish to say "Haha I told you so". It takes a while, but it is addicting.

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I've never run into anyone else who has watched A Fine Romance. . .we found that after we had finished As Time Goes By and needed something else to watch.
Another of our BBC favorites is Monarch of the Glen.

Karen said...

We loved Monarch of the Glen, especially the earlier years! Did you know that Judy Dench (Laura) was married to Michael Williams (Mike Selway) in real life?

Susan said...

You thought THIS Dr Who was bad? Oh gosh, you should've seen the old ones. This one is smooth and high-class compared to the ones Gary used to watch. I couldn't believe Gary was managing to get all the kids hooked on Dr Who this year. But then I saw an episode or two with the current Doctor, and it can be really really funny! Darn it, I didn't need another show to like!