Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Yummy Recipes

Over the Thanksgiving holidays, I was blessed to receive two recipes for dishes that my family loves. The first is my mom's German Potato Salad. This is a traditional recipe handed down in my mother's German family. It's my husband's favorite dish.

German Potato Salad

2 pounds potatoes
1/2 pound bacon
1/2 Cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Cup water
1/2 Cup vinegar

Cook the potatoes until not quite done, peel, and slice. Cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble. Reserve 1/4 to 1/3 cup drippings. In the same pan cook onion in drippings.

When tender, add water, vinegar, and sugar. Cook for two minutes, add bacon. Pour over potatoes. Put in top of double boiler or crock pot for 1-2 hours.

Serve hot.


The second recipe, my family enjoyed during coffee hour at church. It's similar to my Dutch Apple Bread, but has a tart-like texture.

Dutch Apple Coffee Cake

Batter
2 1/2 Cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbls. sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, slightly beaten
6 cooking apples, sliced.

Topping
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. cinnamon

Sife dry batter ingredients together; cut in butter until crumble. Add vanilla to egg and then blend with flour mixture. Press evenly onto the bottom and sides of a 15/10/1 inch pan. Cover dough with overlapping layers of apple slices.

Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the apples.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.

Serve warm or cold with whipping cream.

2 comments:

Melrose said...

Thanks so much for this recipe, you posted it just in time for my husband's birthday who's most favorite thing is apple pie! I'm hoping this will be a yummy breakfast for him!

Karen said...

Let me know if it was successful.
Joe made one yesterday using frozen apples. The texture was a little different, but it still tasted good.