Friday, December 2, 2011

It's a Matter of Priorities

The difficulty is that there are so many hours in the day and too many things to do. The children can be well educated, the house clean, creative projects can be completed or I can play on the computer. Lately, the domestic/educator side of my personality has kicked itself into high gear. It's a very good thing.

Since Paige and Allie have returned to homeschooling we've been incredibly productive. For the most part, we're treating their public school time as a mini-vacation and starting their real school year on October 31. The girls have been very motivated to get their school work done early in the day. I admit that I'm letting them play a ton of Wii in the afternoon or play outside if the weather cooperates.

They are having so much fun together, that they keep getting up earlier and earlier each day to finish school. I overslept last Tuesday and didn't drag myself out of bed until 9:30. Once I realized the lateness, I ran into the family room. The three girls were on the couch together. Paige was helping Allie complete her math assignment. They think that 6 pages of math is one days work. In reality, one days assignment is 2 pages. (Thank you public school for endless ditto pages to keep children busy!) I taught them English and realized that they had already done all the rest of their school work. About an hour later, a public school friend called to ask if they could play. The public schools had a snow day!

Paige and Allie are currently getting done with a full days work by about 10:30 on a normal day. Madelyn's work takes longer, so she doesn't finish up until around noon which still leaves me time to clean and cook in the afternoon.

During the evenings, several Christmas presents have been sewn, cards have been created, Bible classes and choir practices have been attended, and games have been played with the kids.

All this is a wordy way of stating that I'm having a difficult time keeping up with email-loops and my poor blog. I'll probably just do a weekly post for the next few weeks, then regular blog posts should return after the holidays.

No comments: