Monday, November 4, 2013

National Novel Writing Month

November is National Novel Writing Month.  My oldest daughter participated last year and anxiously awaited the return of NaNoWriMo this year.  On October 30, my husband suggested that I join this year.  He thought that it would be fun for my daughter and I to encourage each other.  He's been encouraging me to write a book for years.  My writing isn't mature enough to be a published, but I thought that it might fun to try to write a novel.

Since I made my decision so close to the start date, I decided that it would probably be wisest to write about the humorous things that have happened in our family.  I'm thinking something along the lines of Beverly Cleary's Ramona books.  Between all my children various escapades, there are plenty of stories to tell.

The first chapter was the tale of Joe's Bad Day.  Normally, he was a very well behaved child, but when he was naughty, it was at the top of the rotten behavior scale.  The second chapter is about Katie and her confetti making fetish.  She spent hours in the early hours of the morning and late at night punching holes in construction paper with a hand held hole punch.  Both incidents weren't funny when they occurred, but are truly funny as I look back.

So far, I'm 8500 words into my 50000 word novel.  My blog will probably suffer a little over the next few weeks as I strive for my first novel. 

No comments: