Saturday, December 6, 2014

To Read or Not To Read

A number of my on-line friends are setting goals for reading a certain number of books next year.  I've made and surpassed goals the last few years, but am considering a twist to my reading challenge this year.  I need to limit myself to a smaller number of books next year.  The simple problem is that I read too much.  In 2014, I read more than 125 new books and over 270 rereads.  The rereads usually happen when I run out of new material and need to get to sleep.

My addiction to reading keeps me up until every book is finished, even when I have read the book before.  It's not uncommon for me to still be reading at 4:00 am when the household is sound asleep.  Knowing that everyone will be up in a few hours doesn't deter my need to complete the book.

There seems to be an obsessive gene in my personality that causes me to be excessive in anything I pursue. When I work out at the gym, I'm there for two-three hours, knowing full well that any movement will be uncomfortable in the days following.  When planning the upcoming school year, every subject and lesson is planned over the summer.  (We may not get to everything, but the plan is created.)  It's time for me to work on moderation in my life.

So my reading goal for 2015 is to read 1 book per week, including rereading books I love to revisit.  This goal will be a much more difficult challenge than reading more books, but will still allow me to enjoy one of my favorite past times.

 Are you challenging yourself to read more next year?

1 comment:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

No, because I have so many other things that are higher up on the list. I want to knit and sew more; I want to start my own Etsy business. I need to keep working on home organization.

I also have problems finding things I would like to read anymore. Or perhaps I'm afraid to try anything new after disappointments.