Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Home Again

My uncle died last Saturday and the funeral was today in Crete, IL which is south-east of Chicago. I left at 7:00 am with my mom and got home around 6:00 pm. We had beautiful weather and the road construction wasn't underway for the summer yet.

My father came from a family of 5 sons and 2 daughters. This uncle was the last living son. One daughter is still living. I really enjoyed seeing all the old family photos of my father growing up. My mom and I spent the car trip reminiscing about this side of the family. My father grew up in a Baptist family, but none of the children remained Baptists as they grew up. One daughter became a member of the Church of Christ, but all the other children married Lutherans and became Lutheran.

My father's mother was the oldest child in a very large family. When she was 10, her mother died. My grandmother was not able to attend school after her mother's death. She was needed to stay at home and run the household and raise her younger siblings.
After marrying my grandfather, she had 7 children over a period of 20 years. I can't imagine raising children for 40+ years.

No comments: