Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Eating From the Cupboard and Freezer

Today, I asked my 11 year old son to bring some chicken up from the freezer before we left for the Y Center at 9:30am. He tossed the chicken on the counter to thaw and we headed out the door.

While I'm running from place to place, I asked the kids what they would like me to make out of some kind of chicken parts. No one had any good suggestions, so I decided that I would make chicken and rice in the oven. There would be plenty of time for it to cook before Mike would be home from supper. I had some errands to run and it was almost 2:00 before we returned home.

I walked into the kitchen to prepare a salad and begin the casserole. A whole solidly-frozen chicken awaits me on the counter. There is still ice on the wrapping. Dinner ideas need to be changed. After throwing the chicken into a sink full of hot water (I know you're not supposed to, but the family needs to eat.) My 15 year old daughter offers to peel potatoes and make Spicy Oven Roasted Potatoes. My 10 year old daughter offers to help her sister. Someone suggests that they make Chocolate Peanut Butter cookies for dessert. My son wants to make a "Surprise Salad".

The chicken eventually thaws, so I throw it in the air roaster and sprinkle with Season Salt. My dinner preparation is complete. This is not my normal dinner preparation scenario. I'm a little surprised at all the offers of help and hope to locate my real family members later tonight. After dinner is finished. :)

Unfortunately, someone unplugged the air roaster, so we will be eating a lot later than planned!

No comments: