Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dieting Through the Holidays

I kind of fell of my diet the last few weeks. The children kept offering me Butterfingers and Payday bars and I didn't want to discourage their skills at "sharing" with others. It had nothing to do with the fact that I was stressed and really wanted chocolate and nuts. Most days, I managed to get some exercise, so I didn't gain any weight.

Now that I've lost my diet momentum, it's hard to get back into the mindset I need. This week, I'm not dieting, but am discontinuing the use of must refined sugar products and focusing on eating more fruits and vegetables. I'd really like to lose another 20 pounds by the end of the year. My poor children will be forgoing many of their holiday favorites this November and December. Steve commented that when I go on a diet, everyone goes on a diet. That isn't true, but they do eat a lot more chicken, salads, and vegetables. They get a lot less junk food.

Tonight, I'm going to search for festive fruit salads and other nutritious and low fat treats. Hopefully, if I do great presentations, the kids won't miss the fudge, cookies, and homemade candy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 comment:

Glenda said...

Oh shoot, I was reading along and thought, great, Karen will have ideas. Then your last sentence goes and asks for ideas!

I want to know of good snacks for the kids. They seem to always be hungry, especially after swim practice and I rely to much on a cookie or candy.