Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Wasted Day

Went to my mom's house yesterday to mow her lawn. My mom has 3.5 acres and owns a small riding mower. Mike went along to give the mower a pre-season check-up. One of the belts was splitting, so we ran in to the next town to pick up parts (30 minutes each way). The kids and I took turns cutting grass using a push mower while Mike was at the store. Mike returned and I sent the kids home in the van. While Mike mowed, I continued to cut grass with the push mower and move tree branches to the brush pile.

After several hours, the mower was put back together, but we were unable to pull the final spring into position. About 3/4 of an acre was mowed and the brush pile had grown considerable. We ran into town to purchase something that would give us enough leverage to pull the spring into position, which used up another 1 1/2 hours. Mike an I worked together for another 2 hours trying to get the spring into position, breaking many types of levers in the process. Finally, we put the mowers back in the shed with plans to return on Saturday.

Mike spent some time talking to mechanics this morning and called me up with the solution. We need to get some clothesline and tie one end to the spring. Then we can pull on the rope together and slip the spring into position. Mike had rope in the car, but the idea just never came to us. Another wasted day!

2 comments:

Karin said...

This sounds painfully familiar. Our mower belts are in today and maybe tomorrow I can get started on our five acres of lawn. It is VERY high. I guess your day was not totally wasted but I do know the feeling of just spinning your wheels can be frustrating. Hope Saturday goes better.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Sounds like you got some mowing and brush work done, and at least got the part for the mower, so it wasn't totally wasted.