Saturday, June 6, 2009

Farmer's Market

The kids had fun at the craft show/farmer's market that they displayed their crafts at this morning. Joe was thrilled with the variety of items and Katie thought that all the produce was a good deal. I received a phone call from Joe wanting to know if he could buy some rhubarb. Last night, while grocery shopping, I offered to purchase some and make a pie for Mike. Mike said that he really didn't think we needed a pie in the house, so we passed. Joe returned from the farmer's market with rhubarb and fresh spearmint. We'll be making the pie this evening after dinner.

Joe wasn't sure what to do with the spearmint. He tried chewing on a few leaves, but didn't like the taste. I explained how to dry spearmint for tea. Joe took care of all the preparation and my house smells minty fresh. Many of us are craving mint tea.

It's been several years since I used the dehydrator. The last time was when I had tons of onions and decided to dry several trays of onions to use later. I don't care for the smell of onions and decided to dry them overnight outside under our awning. It worked really well, but for a long time my neighbors were commenting on the strong onion smell that permeated the neighborhood.

No comments: