Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I Think We've Got It


Paige and Allie woke me up around 2:30am with fevers and sore throats. They were cold and thirsty, but unable to swallow. I staggered into the kitchen, groping for the Tylenol in the cabinet above the sink. Mike usually handles the middle of the night medicine patrol, because I can't see anything without my contacts. By the time I get my contacts in and struggle to see the tiny print, I'm awake for hours. Yesterday, he spent the day digging 30 post hole for the privacy fence at the new place. So I took pity on him and tried to do the job blind. As I glared at the small amount of Tylenol in the bottom of the almost empty bottle, I noticed that the liquid was really grainy. The girls were given 1/4 doses, because I thought someone may have been dishing out meds without shaking the bottle well first.

The two girls spent the day on the couch, watching movies and sipping on orange juice. They were feeling a little better when I called from Kalamazoo to see how they were doing. (Madelyn and I are still trying to locate pointe shoes in her size!) For a special treat, I brought home a large pumpkin for the kids to carve. We usually carve the pumpkins on the deck where the mess is kept to a minimum, but today we carved on the table. The two youngest girls were allowed to design the face of the pumpkin. Paige wanted a happy, smiling pumpkin with NO teeth. Allie wanted a happy pumpkin WITH teeth that would be blacked out with markers.

The decision (made by me) was to have a happy pumpkin with NO teeth on the bottom and WITH teeth on the top. No one was happy. All the older children wanted scary pumpkins. Paige didn't like the blackened teeth idea. Isn't life tough?

No comments: