Friday, January 8, 2010

Color

I need to pick a color for my bedroom and the family room at the other house. My brain is on color overload and I'm almost out of ideas. Michael wanted the dining room and kitchen to be very light, so they ended up almost white. The color is actually a creamy very light yellow, but at certain times of the day the walls appear white. Madelyn's room (which is actually supposed to be the living room) is a beautiful spring green. It's a cheerful room and my favorite color. The hall and stairway are both white. The upstairs bathroom is green and white with blue accents. Paige and Allie's bedroom is bubble gum pink. The boys' bedroom is red and black, with white trim. Katie's bedroom is neon green and black. She has decided that she wants the ceiling to be white, instead of black, so more painting will need to be done in her room.

My bedroom is the only room that is keeping the carpeting. The previous owners installed dusty rose carpeting in the master bedroom. YUCK! Originally, we had planned on painting the master bedroom deep taupe, but since we've decided to keep the carpeting, taupe won't work. My current bedding is greens and I made a quilt in browns that I had planned to use. Any suggestions?

Mike decided that we will be using part of our huge tax return to buy new furniture for the family room. He's got his eye on some grey sofas. The family room doesn't get a lot of natural light, so I need to keep the walls fairly light, but I don't want boring. Any suggestions? The family room has entryways to the kitchen and dining room.

Normally, painting is something I love to do. Choosing new wall color and watching rooms change in appearance is fun. Unfortunately, my brain is not working right and I'm out of ideas. Maybe it's because we've been painting since October. All the walls needed 2 coats of primer, so I've actually painted every room 4 times. Only three rooms to go.

3 comments:

Holly Days Closet said...

My suggestion for your room would be green not a dark green and not a lime but a lighter one with white trim. Your brown quilt will go with most anything. Another suggestion is throw rugs do wonders to change the color of carpet. I'm working on crocheting a throw rug for my living room. As to the sofa grey is nice and you can always brighten it up with afgans or quilts thrown pillows and the like. Hope this helps.
Holly

Melinda said...

a soft green would be nice or even an antique white you know with just a hint of soft buttery yellow. Whatever you decide will be pretty Karen. I love the color you put in Madelyn's room. That one would be pretty in your room also. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Karen said...

Well, I ended yo using a green with a hint of grey.