Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Pasta Salad

Last night, I prepared a favorite summer dish from my childhood. It's been several years since I last made this dish, because my oldest daughter hates mayonnaise and turned the other children against this meal-time offering. My oldest daughter isn't home this summer and the weather was sweltering, so the decision was made to try this meal again. It's super easy to prepare and a delicious cold supper. Four of the remaining 6 children returned for second helpings and requested that I make this again. It's amazing how much more receptive the children are to meals when the "I don't like that" child is not present!

Summer Past Salad

16 oz pasta (elbow macaroni, shells, bows or curly pasta)
water to cook pasta
8 oz. cooked ham, cut into bite-sized chunks
8 oz. colby cheese, cut into bite-sized chunks
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 jar mayonnaise

Prepare pasta until al dente. Drain and run under cold water. Cool in refrigerator until cold. Add all other ingredients, stir well. Use more or less mayonnaise to reach desired consistency. Return to refrigerator. Let sit 2-24 hours. I usually prepare this in the morning before the heat of the day.

Serve with grapes or other fruit and crackers. Makes wonderful leftovers for the next days lunch.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Whereas we have the "lazy person's pasta salad." Rotini with cut up carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, with lots of Italian dressing. Chill and serve.

Karen said...

Your lazy person's pasta salad is what I regularly serve as a summer side dish. We must be wonderful cooks!