Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Planning for the Upcoming School Year

We've had a lot of rain and muggy weather, so I've been holed up doing lesson planning. It's going fairly well. I ordered the remaining resources that I needed today, but really need to complete the years planning for history. History is my favorite subject to teach. We have so much fun reading about historical events and people. The children's favorite part of history are the costumes we make, food we prepare and eat, and the projects that they are allowed to create. History projects are fun, but much less messy that science projects!

Each year, I write the curriculum that we use for history. We tend to cover history in four-year cycles, something along the lines of The Well Trained Mind, which is a classical approach to teaching subjects. This year we will be covering ancient times again. Paige keeps having nightmares about mummies, so this could be a challenge. It's becoming more urgent that I force myself to get this planning done, but I keep procrastinating. My goal is to have the year's plans finished by the 25th of August. Wish me luck!

No comments: