Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Christmas is Right Around the Corner!

Our many huge maple trees began to drop a lot of leaves today and I realized that soon it will be Halloween. I haven't started my Christmas preparations! Four of my children have birthdays during the last 6 weeks of the year. Two of them are between Christmas and New Year's Eve. Normally, I spend August and September sewing clothes for the children to give as Christmas presents. The bulk of the non-home-made gifts are purchased in October and I am finished Christmas shopping by the day after Thanksgiving. The birthday gifts are purchased the first week or two of December.

It seems like I'm to zealous with getting the purchases done early, but I've found that the birthday celebrations, family gatherings, Christmas program rehearsals, holiday performances, and parades make November and December pass too quickly. I get irritable and loose my enthusiasm for sledding, decorating, and cooking when I've over-tired. (Kind of like a toddler.)

This year, my normal method has been scrapped. I spent way too much time in August, September, and October walking/hiking in the woods. My crafty time has gone to creating stamps for letterboxing. I've been selfish. The terrible part is that I'm not even repentant. I would do the same thing again.

Unfortunately, now I will need to get myself in gear and get going on my sewing projects and shopping. Some "wish lists" were taken from some of the kids Sunday on and I'll begin my shopping tomorrow. This will be the first year we have Christmas in our "new" home. Places to shop are not as plentiful in this town as in the last city where we lived. I will need to spend a lot more time driving this year. Bah Humbug!

No comments: