Monday, August 1, 2011

Working Outside

I've been forcing myself to work in the garden lately. The heat has been terrible, but my enthusiasm has waned on the garden. I enjoyed preparing the beds, planting the seeds and plants, and watering. I even didn't mind weeding.....at the beginning. It's a good thing that my children are excited about all the produce we've been picking lately or the garden wouldn't look as good as it does.

The reason for my lack of enthusiasm finally occurred to me yesterday when I walked into Walmart. I didn't plant ANY flowers this year. Beds of black-eyed Susan's, brightly colored morning glories and other flowers lift my spirit when I'm outside doing mundane tasks. As much as I love fresh green beans and ripe tomatoes, they don't make my heart rejoice like roses and snap dragons.

Walmart has shipments of mums at all the entrances right now. It's time to clean out the lettuce patch and plant some flowers!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I feel the same way Karen. Flowers are so much more cheery than the practical vegetable but they don't taste as good. :) Glad to hear you are getting some mums.