Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Embracing Motherhood

I have great children.  They all do well with their studies, either in school or at home.  Most of them are gainfully employed.  They all contribute around the house.  I enjoy spending time with them and love when everyone is around.  What's the problem?  I feel like I'm marking time, simply going through the motions of running our home and parenting our children.

It could be that this feeling has come about because I've been doing the same thing forever.  Well, not exactly forever, but it has been 24 years.  There is still 11years before Allie becomes an adult.  I've come to realize that I no longer enjoy cooking or cleaning.  Most of the children are capable of cleaning up after themselves and preparing a simple meal.  That doesn't mean that they DO clean up after themselves.  But, it's pretty easy to assign various parts of the meal to different children to prepare. 

Maybe it's the fact that I'm getting older, but I feel a need to decide what I want to be when I grow up.  Do I want to have a career or job?  Do I want to stay home with my minor children and continue to homeschool? 
Do I want to regroup and do a better job as a home maker and mom.  As I get closer to my 50s (I still have a few years left), I want to not regret that I didn't try something before it's too late. 

I don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for some of the activities that I used to do with the older children.
Frankly, reading Little House on the Prairie out-loud for the umpteenth time bores me.    It's a good book and I enjoyed sharing it with my older girls, but dread the thought of doing it again.  Maybe, I need to find different books to read aloud. 


1 comment:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I am having similar thoughts, although I only have five years until my youngest is out of high school. We currently have one car, and Mr. BTEG absolutely needs it for his work commute, so me doing anything outside of the home is impossible right now. I'm working on carving out several free hours together that I would need to work on any projects here at home.

As for reading, E. Nesbit's books are good, although there's not a series. Elizabeth Enright's Melendy family series is good. You could also read Caddie Woodlawn for the pioneer touch.