Monday, July 21, 2014

Open Houses

June is the season of wedding and graduation parties.  We didn't have any weddings this year, but several of my nieces and nephews were graduating from high school.  Mike isn't usually able to attend these types of functions because of his job.  Saturdays off are frowned upon.  So on June 14, Paige and Allie and I drove up to Bellevue to attend a niece's graduation party.  We picked up my mom from her house and arrived shortly after the party began.

As I walked up the sidewalk (headed towards the restroom), I tripped over my Birkenstock sandals and fell face first towards the ground.  All of the people already seated watched my grand entrance.  It was one of those moments when I wished that the ground would open up and swallow me.  I stuck out my left hand and somewhat broke the fall, but my face was cut in a few places and bleeding.

My sister helped me to the bathroom, where I mopped up the blood and watched my wrist begin to swell.  My main thought was that it could have been worse.  I could have peed my pants as well. 

I rejoined the other guests and my sister brought me an ice pack.  The next three hours became more and more difficult.  Everyone was gracious and the conversation was good.  I didn't feel like eating, but my girls enjoyed the food.  Finally, I told my mom that I needed to drive her home.  The pain was making it difficult to concentrate and I had 2 1/2 hours of driving ahead of me.

After dropping off my mom, I took the highways instead of the back roads that I usually take.  As much as I avoid all doctors, I decided to stop off at the urgent care facility about 1/2 an hour from where we live.  After x-rays and blood pressure checks, the doctor put a splint on my arm and made an appointment with a surgeon for a week later.  The good part of the visit was discovering that my blood pressure was down to 160/88!  Down 60 points from 3 months ago!

The surgeon put on a cast (blood pressure down to 132/80) and made an appointment for 4 weeks later.  The cast was removed on July 17 (blood pressure now 130/78) and a removable brace was provided.  I can only lift 5 pounds and will begin physical therapy in two weeks.  The brace should be removed in 5 weeks and hopefully my life will return to normal. 

My nephew had his open house the week after I broke my wrist.  He lives 3 hours away, so I wasn't able to attend.  Not our family's best showing for supporting our relatives, but I think everyone understood.

No comments: