Sunday, April 24, 2016

Where Have I Been?

After a busy and stressful summer, Mike and I reached a decision to send our minor children to the local public schools this school year.  I have not been handling the stress in my life well and am at that Peri-menopause time of life.  Stress is not something I handle well.  Crying frequently on a daily basis was a given for me.  I've always been a bit of a crier, but it had gotten bad.  Added to that was the lack of enthusiasm to get up in the morning.  Migraines took 1-2 weeks out of my life each month. We decided that this was the year for me to take care of myself. 

The girls have adjusted to public school.  Some have had social challenges.  Others have academic challenges because they freeze up during testing.  I did not do a good job of preparing them with test taking skills.  Paige has discovered much success academically, musically, and enjoys performing.  Allie ran for student council with four weeks into the school year and won.  She has developed confidence in groups and has a style all her own.  Madelyn has made friends, gained confidence in her academic skills and developed a love of art.

On the negative side, all the kids have had many experiences where their feelings were trampled.  I have always felt that some of the meanest people in the world are middle school girls.  My feelings have been confirmed.  My middle school child hurts for each of her friends when they are unjustly accused, teased or bullied by their peers.  It has been a long learning experience.  My youngest child heads to the middle school next year and at the end of this year is beginning to have some of the same experiences.

The year of taking care of myself has had ups and downs as well.  Isn't that just what happens?  Exercise is happening on a fairly regular basis now.  We are all eating better with lots of fresh organic fruits and vegetables, eggs, chicken and beef.  There are very few processed foods in our lives and rare restaurant meals.  The migraines are simmering below the surface, but I did go to the emergency room and got prescriptions that are helping to keep them in check.

I've been focusing on growing my online stores and have been seeing steady growth.  It's been a long time since there was a way to see success in my life.  So much of my time has revolved around caring for children, cleaning, laundry, meals, and teaching.  All the activities are worthwhile, but don't provide any feeling of accomplishment.  I love seeing progress and success in my life. 

I'm hoping to continue to make progress on my health over the summer.  We're still figuring out what we plan to do with the girls next school year. 

Madelyn graduates from high school this summer and will be going to a community college before she transfers to a four year university.  Steve is heading off to Wayne State in the fall and Amy is looking for an apartment.  Our house will be a lot emptier next school year.  It's exciting to watch my children grow and move on with their lives.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling, but it sounds like you've made some positive changes. It really can be hard to accomplish everything in regards to running a home and caring for a family. I don't think anybody can do it all, all of the time.

I'm glad your Etsy store is doing well, but I also think, although it takes a lot more time to see, building a family is an accomplishment as well.

Karen said...

I agree that building a family is a huge accomplishment. It's one of the most important jobs in the world. In many respects it is rewarding and satisfying. My personality gets extreme satisfaction from checking off a list of activities and seeing them accomplished well. Etsy is helping me to enjoy that feeling of accomplishment by succeeding with something where I have control.