Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Internet Business




My dh came home from work in October and decided that we needed to have an Internet business. He spoke with a former employee who is in the gourmet food business now. She gave him some information about beginning a gourmet food business and Mike wanted to give it a try. He's been really good about supporting me in all of my endeavors (even the one's that are bad ideas) so I said that I would help him.

We did a fund raiser for our daughter's dance studio in early November. It was a lot of work, but a great learning experience. Our business made a little money, so we decided to try to do some Internet sales. Dh handled all the web design and I've been entering products. His work took about 44 hours. I'm spending 5-6 hours every night adding product to the site. This has been going on for 8 weeks. Today, I told him that I wanted to be a "partner" in the business. Something to remember to put on my resume! We had a great laugh about the importance of titles in our tiny business and he's going to spend more time entering product, while I continue to look for additional suppliers.

My "techno-daughter" has helped with some of the input and we're beginning to teacher her some of the design elements. She made the logo for our company and has some great ideas! I'm planning on giving her high school credit for computer skills this semester and may even let her work on it during part of the school day.

No comments: