Thursday, January 24, 2008

Skiing, Paper Delivery, and Children Who Don't Like to be Cold


Some of the children went outside to make snow angels. The four year (left photo) was adventurous and went outside. The three year old (photo right) refused to brave the cold. She did her angels on the family room carpet!

Yesterday, my 15 yo dd and 13 yo ds went skiing and snowboarding all day with a group of homeschoolers. The two of them left at 8:30 am and got home at 6:00 pm. I'm told that they only went inside to warm up every couple of hours and then only for 5 minutes at a time. The outside temperature was 13-15 degrees, with a wind chill below 0. Thursday, the same children had to deliver their paper routes. The outside temperature was around 20-21 degrees and the wind chill was around 10 degrees. There were many complaints about the excessive cold. "Why can't you drive us today? It's so cold out there!" "I can barely feel my hands!" "My ears are freezing!" Of course, I remained the hard-hearted mom I am and refused to drive them through their routes. Instead, I gently reminded one child that wearing a hat or hood would prevent ear freeze. Another child was patiently told that gloves without the fingertips cut out would be warmer. When faced with the decision of being "cool" or being warm, my children want to look good! :0 What's a mean mom to do?

No comments: