Friday, May 23, 2008

What's for supper?

I thought that I had to eat at a particular restaurant tonight and audit the service. My children wanted to know what they could have for dinner at home. I planned to make meatloaf, but no one was excited about my choice. I offered left overs, but had no takers. My oldest dd said that she wanted a pasty (rhymes with nasty) and offered to make them for everyone.

My 11 year old son offered to help prepare the vegetables for the filling. So I gave permission for the two of them to cook supper. After gathering my report forms for the restaurant evaluation, I realized that I needed to do the audit on Saturday. My dd said that she still wanted to make dinner. Yahoo!

The pasties turned out pretty well, but are not authentic. Here's what they prepared:

Amy's "Pasty" Recipe

Filling
Shred 2 carrots, 4 celery stalks, 7 potatoes. Chop one large onion.

Cook 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef until fully cooked.

Saute onion, celery, carrot. Add potatoes to onion mixture and cook until potatoes are soft. Add meat to potato mixture, then season with salt and pepper.

Dough
Make two double pie crust recipes

Roll crust and cut out circles with large round cookie cutters. Place small amount of filling on one side of dough round. (enough to cover slightly less than 1/2 of circle) Fold over dough and press closed. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. The time will vary based upon the size of the pasty.

Can be served warm or at room temperature. We prefer them warm from the oven. They might be good dipped in a mustard sauce.

No comments: