Friday, November 14, 2008

Simple Pine Cone Craft, Ummm


The local Joann's store has a large pile of cinnamon pine cones stored in their entryway. The smell is wonderful,albeit overpowering. A small bag of pine costs almost $5 and I'm cheap. Today, I discovered a huge plastic storage bin filled with pine cones that we had collected several years ago.

I baked the pine cones for 1 hour in a 250 degree oven. After they had cooled, Madelyn sprayed the pine cones with clear polyurethane. After they had dried, we placed small batches of pine cones in a large metal bowl and sprinkled them with cinnamon oil.

My whole house smells faintly of cinnamon. The children and I placed baskets and small bowls of pine cones throughout our living spaces. After Thanksgiving, we'll be adding small pine branches and red bows to the containers.

About 1/2 of the pine cones were used. Now, to think of ideas for the rest of them.

No comments: