Friday, May 8, 2009

Road Trip Adventure

The kids and I had a great time on the field trips today. The weather was beautiful, so we stopped at a playground with some friends before heading back to our city. About 45 minutes from home, the van jerked hard and the gears went into neutral. I pulled off to the side of the road and tried to put the van back into the driving gear, but the van continued to jerk.

We were on I-94 during the home-from-work drive. I couldn't get the van into gear to drive to the next exit and ended up calling Mike to come pick us up. I had 6 of the kids with me and Mike's car only seats 5, so Amy followed Mike to carry some passengers in her car. We should have been home around 5:30, but arrived home at 7:30. The kids were all starved, thirsty, and tired.

We ended up having the van towed to my brother-in-law's salvage yard. The tow cost $150. Hopefully, we will get enough from the scrap value to at least pay for the towing. We don't have the money to purchase another vehicle right now. Hopefully, we can save up some money before fall. We'll be spending the summer enjoying each other's company in the backyard. Maybe, I really need some quiet time to rejuvenate myself for the next school year.

1 comment:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Sometimes I wish we didn't need cars quite so much, but I don't know what a true alternative would be. I couldn't get all the groceries I need, for example, on a bus. For that matter, buses here don't run anywhere I need to go. In pleasant weather, an Amish buggy would be nice for short trips. In an Ohio (or Michigan!) winter, we'd be wretched.