Wednesday, July 29, 2009

House Hunting

Mike and I spent yesterday looking at houses. We're considering purchasing a larger, older home that needs work. Our home is really too small for us and we have 4 children sleeping in bedrooms in the basement. All the kids have allergies, so the basement isn't the healthiest place for them to sleep.

Our neighborhood is also deteriorating. Many of the homes that had been owned for decades are now rentals or have recently been repossessed. We would need to add another addition on our current home if we stay here. (The money invested in the addition would never be gotten back if the house was sold.)

There are a couple of homes that we are considering in a small town much closer to our church. It would be wonderful to have a 5 minute drive to church in the morning! One home is on a river, with a foot-bridge at the end of the property line. There is a TON of work to be done on this home, but there is so much potential. There are 5 bedrooms that could be made into 6 bedrooms, by finishing the walk in attic space. The kitchen is larger than my current kitchen. Most of the bedrooms are substantially larger than the bedrooms in our current home. But there is a TON of work to be done.

The home under consideration is 3 blocks from the library, 4 blocks from a grocery store, and 4 blocks from a consignment craft store. I could even sell some of my handbags! The local school district is excellent. While I love homeschooling and would be happy to homeschool all my children through high school, I would be comfortable sending my children to the local schools. Some of my children would also have the option of going to our church's elementary school.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Did I mention that the home needs a ton of work?

No comments: