Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mom Update

My mom was diagnosed with cancer last year and underwent several months of chemotherapy. Her cancer doctor explained that it could take a year for the chemo chemicals to leave her body, so she might take awhile to regain her energy level. Mom last had chemotherapy last August and she still tires very quickly. A trip to Walmart requires a nap. Going to church on Sunday means that she will be wiped out for the remainder of the day.

A few weeks ago, Mom had a check up with her cancer doctor. There are lumps in her legs again that are cause for concern. If they continue to grow, she will need to undergo another bout of chemotherapy. Mom is pretty sure that she will need chemo again in a few months.

On Monday, my mom went to the eye doctor and learned that she has cataracts in both eyes. She shouldn't be driving and will need surgery. Mom is scurrying around to find an eye surgeon to give her the surgery before she needs chemo therapy. While mom and I were talking, I learned that my pregnant sister also has cataracts and needs surgery. My sister can't have surgery until after she delivers. My sister does a lot of errands with my mom. I have concerns about the two of them driving, because they literally are the blind leading the blind. Hopefully, I can take mom for her eye surgery very soon, so that the two of them are not involved in any accidents.

1 comment:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I hope things improve health wise for your family. I'm sure it's difficult to go through.