Saturday, September 11, 2010

Catching Up

We got off to a good start this school year, but had some problems by day 2. Would you believe that two expensive school books are missing already? Steve's chemistry book and Madelyn's math book cannot be found anywhere! We tore the house up on Thursday without any success. I was so frustrated that we blew off school and went letter boxing all day. I know that I should have persevered, but the sun was shining, the wind was softly blowing through the open windows, and Mike had the day off from work. What's a frustrated mom to do? Everyone was much happier searching for letterboxes. We did go on a nice walk in the woods, so we accomplished nature study and all got a little exercise.

Friday, I forced everyone to complete their assignments in between loads of laundry. Everything got finished except for Madelyn's math and Steve's chemistry. We still haven't found the books. Mike was out of work early and got the pool taken down and packed up for the winter. After Mike finished with the pool, we headed to our nearby large town to purchase Amy's birthday gifts and look at clothes dryers. Our dryer broke 3 weeks ago and I've been hanging out all our clothes on clothes-lines in the backyard. The laundry smells fantastic, but all of the people with allergies are miserable. We should get the dryer early next week.

We reached a decision about our church situation. After our move in February, we began to visit a local Missouri synod Lutheran church, but hadn't formally joined the church. We belonged to the WELS church about 1.25 hours from our house. The drive is simply too much for us to attend each week and getting everyone dressed and out of the house by 7:30am is a huge problem. Mike spoke with the WELS pastor and explained that we would be joining the Missouri synod Lutheran church.

It was a difficult decision to make for our family. I have been a WELS member since birth; Mike has been a member for 23 years. The WELS church that I grew up in has changed and some of the churches no longer conduct services or practice the traditions of WELS. We don't agree with all of the practices of the Missouri synod either. I prefer that the pastor do the Bible readings, instead of a layman. I believe that my husband should have a voice in the church and do not wish to vote on decisions. The church that we have been visiting is much closer to the WELS church of my youth than the church we are leaving.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Right before the Dancer's dance recital in the spring, she lost her ballet slippers! Still hasn't found them, either.

As a lifetime member of the LCMS, welcome! Lay readers are not specifically an LCMS thing. I think only church I have attended has done that.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I ran across your blog entry and read about your church experiences with a good deal of sadness. I would welcome an opportunity speak to you about this. Please feel welcome to email me at mark.schroeder@wels.net, or call me at 414-256-3201.

In Christ,

Rev. Mark Schroeder
WELS President