Monday, May 2, 2011

School Update

We had a fabulous school day today. Wow! Everyone worked so hard and completed so much work that I was amazed. Paige and Allie did almost all of their subjects together today. We worked at the dining room with one girl on each side of me. They were so intent on doing their best work and finishing before their sibling that we were able to do every subject. plus extra Spanish and writing. One of the best results was my ability to praise them frequently about their work. I need to remember that sincere praise is a huge motivator.

The older children completed all of their work and I assigned homework to each of them. They weren't thrilled to get homework, but they need to put forth a little extra effort to complete our work for this year. They all worked diligently today.

Amy is tutoring Steve, Joe and Madelyn in English and writing. It's been very effective. I'm struggling to work with everyone on the areas that they need assistance right now. English and maths are the most difficult for me, because no one is at the same point. It's such a blessing to have a very knowledgeable teacher work with them individually, while I work with someone else.

I've been beginning to determine resources and subjects for next school year. One of my goals is to combine more studies and to do less bookwork and more creative assignments. The database that has been started is a bit problematic. It's been 20 years since I created a database and the programs that I was familiar using are no longer available. I'd like to be able to have a master planner with detailed assignments, then copy the information to individual planners for each child to use as a checklist. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, your comments would be very helpful.

No comments: