Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fabric Covered Storage Box

My daughters keep teasing me about Pinterest and all the cool things that I see there.  They think that I won't make any of the things that I pin.  To prove them wrong and to keep a record of what worked and what didn't work, I'm going to post some of the projects that I've made from Pinterest.

Homeschooling is a lot of fun and we enjoy the lifestyle as a family.  It does create a lot of things to store and not all of them fit neatly on a bookshelf.  All the flashcards, clocks for practicing telling time, educational cards, learning gadgets are difficult to store.  I usually end up throwing them in a box that was originally used to hold reams of printer paper.  The boxes did the job, but were unsightly in my family room.

I grabbed my handy stapler, some old fabric (previously used for curtains?), some scissors and began covering the box.  I did the bottom first to make sure that there was enough fabric.  After cutting the fabric several inches longer and wider than the box, I folded an inside flap that was turned under to hide the raw fabric edges.  Both inside and outside of the box was stapled to hold the fabric in place.  Pull the fabric taunt and the repeat on the opposite side.

The sides were folded in slightly from the edges to create a smooth edge at the corner of the box.  Due to the extra fabric (created from the folding) extra stapling was necessary.



The box lid was done the same way.  It only took about 15 minutes to do the first one and less that 10 minutes for the other boxes.  I was so pleased to get rid of the ugly boxes that I made several more boxes to hold other items.  Now the odds and ends of life are stored in a manageable way and my shelves don't look like an office supply cupboard.


No comments: