Friday, April 4, 2014

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

I pulled a ham out of the freezer a few days ago.  We've enjoyed various ham meals, but it was finally time to finish it.  I searched the internet for different recipes and decided that I should try to make scalloped potatoes.  After 27 years of marriage, this was my first attempt at this dish.  I found a recipe, but tweaked it to fit our family's tastes and food allergies.  We had two extra mouths to feed the night that night, so I doubled the recipe.  There was one extra serving for someone for lunch the following day.  Keep in mind that the bulk of my family is adults or teen-aged boys.

Scalloped Potatoes

1/2 Cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups milk
3 cups chopped cooked ham
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
5 cups washed and thinly sliced potatoes, not peeled

Melt butter in pan and add flour and seasonings.  Cook for 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk and heat until thickened and bubbling.  Remove from heat.  Add cheese and ham.  Mix thoroughly.  Pour over potatoes in a large bowl and mix well.  Butter 13 x 9" casserole dish and fill with mixture. Cover with foil. Place in preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for an additional hour.

Serves 6-8


No comments: