Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Beautiful Music

Steve has spent the last several years concentrating on music.  I'm not talking about practicing a few hours each day.  He practices 8-12 hours each day.  He has come so far as a musician that I'm amazed when I hear him practice. 

This year, he's been a part of several choirs at SWMU, plays in the jazz band, and has private voice and guitar lessons.  We've missed all of his concerts this year because he tells us that he has a concert too late for us to clear a place in the schedule or the concert happens on a dance day.  In April, Mike and I made a point of attending three of his concerts.  One was the year end choir concert.   It was wonderful!  I was impressed with the quality of the music program.

The following week, we were able to attend his voice recital.  My in-laws drove up from South Bend for this concert as well.  Steve sang two solos and performed in a group number.  I particularly loved the piece Steve sang from Les Miserables.  He's a much better singer than Russell Crowe.  :)

A few days later, the younger girls, Mike and I attended the music showcase concert.  The jazz band played two numbers.  Steve was phenomena!  His nickname "The guitar guy" at SWMU is well deserved.  My father was a jazz musician who played bass professionally in Chicago when I was a child.  Dad died over a decade ago, but I know he would have loved hearing Steve in the jazz band. 

Unfortunately, the recording I took on my camera and phone of the performances didn't record properly, so I can't post the performances.  They were still great nights that I won't forget for a long time.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Wow, there was a lot to catch up on here! I'm glad to hear your family is doing well.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

And Honest Trailers agrees with you about Russell Crowe. :)